Limited to the first 20 qualified first-year students
The Aggies Thrive program was created specifically for second year students living on campus to help with the transition from the first year to the second year and all the responsibilities and challenges that come with it. Because you don’t know what you don’t know!
The new scholarship, which accompanies the Second Year Symposium Series (SYSS), is for second year students planning to live in the New Suite-Style Residence Hall. The scholarship program includes an academic mentor support program designed to help students through a challenging year.
Aggies Thrive students are awarded a $250 housing rent credit for Fall 2017 and for Spring 2018 contingent on completion of the program requirements. Other second year students are still welcome to participate in the symposium series.
After participation in the program, students will:
Have an increased awareness of the unique issues faced by second-year students
Be actively engaged with their living community and university community
Develop academic and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on resilience
Identify and explore major and career options as applicable
Explore pre-professional and professional experiences and internship opportunities
Experience enhanced communication with University faculty and staff
Meet with an academic advisor or career counselor at least twice each semester
To qualify, students must:
- Be a second-year student
- Live in the new suite-style residence hall for the 2018-19 academic year
- Be registered for a minimum of 12 credits each semester of program participation
- If a student drops below 12 credits, he or she must obtain written permission to keep rent credit from the Program Coordinator (Sofia Walter). Additionally, he or she must obtain written permission to continue living on campus from the Director of Residence Life (Whitney Milligan)
- Meet with his or her Academic Mentor once a month for each month of program participation
- Attend and participate in each monthly SYSS session (eight sessions)
- Complete assignments made at each SYSS session including meeting with academic advisor or career counselor twice a semester
- Attend a minimum of the three team/cohort socials each semester (offered monthly)
- Attend the closing banquet with the USU President
- Second year students living on campus will be invited to participate
- Location to be determined. 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. with a light supper provided
- Fall Semester:
- First Wednesday of each month
- Spring Semester:
- Second Wednesday of each month except for March (due to spring break). Third Wednesday in March
This draft schedule for the Second Year Symposium Series (SYSS) is subject to change.
What To Expect
The second year of college poses a unique set of experiences and challenges. The Aggies Thrive program is designed to help students navigate each step of that journey. We use the motto "Because you don't know what you don't know!" due to the fact that many different aspects of college life don't get considered until a student is actually dealing with them. We want to present students with all the resources they need to face the challenges of college life head-on.
aggies thrive application
The Aggies Thrive program is limited to the first 20 qualified second-year students.
The application deadline for the 2018-2019 school year has passed.