Full Design Tools User Guide in Canvas
USU Design Tools are some tools within Canvas that allow you to quickly build and style a course in Canvas.
It provides the option to create page and assignment templates, build out a full semester of modules using the templates, and easily manage due dates. This video takes you through use of the tools so that you can get started.
You can also check out the additional Design Tools Tutorial videos.
USU Design Tools User Guide
DesignPLUS was developed to help you create and style course content. DesignPLUS is comprised of rich content editor tools, the Multi-tool, and the Upload/Embed Image Tool.
You can view a summary of all of the Design Tools features below. For the full user guide, please see https://cidilabs.instructure.com/courses/102
Launch the Design Tools
You can launch the Design Tools from content pages, assignments, discussions, announcements, or the course syllabus.
The Create/Edit Content section contains the basic tools for building out your content.
Customize the Style
The Customize the Style section contains design tools that you can use to customize the style attributes of your content. Different tools are available based on selected comfort levels.
- Customize the Style Overview
- PageColors for Banner Theme
- PageCurrent Element Style Contents
- Edit Image Size/Position/Style
- PageTurn a Link into a Button
- PageEdit an Ordered or Unordered List
- PageEdit Table Style
- PageColors for Current Element (Basic)
- PageColors for Current Element (Advanced)
- PageAdd Margins and Padding
- PageAdd Borders to Current Element
- PageAdd Block Alerts/Highlights
- PageAdd Text Emphasis/Highlights
- PageCreate and Apply Box Styles
- PageSet various HTML Attributes
- PageUsing the Additional Actions tool
- PageWorking with Videos and Other iframed Content
- PageCustomize Color Palette
Add Advanced Elements
The Add Advanced Elements section contains tools that let you extend the content in your Canvas course.
- Add Advanced Elements Overview
- PageAdd Accordion Panels and Tabs
- PageCustom CSS
- PageAdd Description List
- PageEmbed HTML in the Editor
- PageCreate Key Action Item Instructions in the Editor
- PageInsert HTML Snippets
- PageInsert/Style Icons
- PageAdd Module List
- PageAdd Module Progress Indicators
- PageAdd Objectives and Outcomes
- PageAdd Popup Content
- PageAdd Quick Check
- PageAdd Teacher and TA Details
The Check Accessibility Tools examines page elements for adherence to accessibility standards.
Use the Help section to access the User Guide, find local support, keep up to date with changes to Design Tools, provide feedback or find out about open source resources used to create Design Tools.
The Multi-Tool helps you set up a course shell quickly and efficiently. The Multi-Tool consists of three separate tools, a template creator, a module builder, and a due date modifier.