Mastery Paths allows you to customize learning experiences for students based on performance. You can enable Mastery Paths to automatically assign coursework based on the score achieved for a previous assignment. This provides multiple opportunities to show and achieve mastery in a course.
Mastery Paths Tips:
- It’s best if the module starts with an auto-graded quiz, but could also be an assignment or essay quiz.
- Every student's grade must be posted for the conditional items to be assigned to them.
- Pages have to be enabled for for Mastery Paths when they are being edited. (See the Activating Mastery Paths in a Page section)
- When organizing the mastery paths, it is best to have the Mastery Path assignment at the top and then put the conditional items under it with an increased indent. See the image below for an example.
Enabling Mastery Paths in a Course
Go to Settings
Scroll down and locate Mastery Paths and click the checkbox
Click Update Course Details
Setting Up a Mastery Path
The following instructions assume that you have already created all of the assignments that you would like to include in your Mastery Path.
Go to Modules and add all of the Mastery Path content into a module
Go into the Mastery Path assignment
Make sure this assignment is assigned to Everyone
Navigate to the Mastery Paths tab
Assign the point interval for each path
The example below would have the following interval settings:
Path 1: 8-10 points
Path 2: 5-7 Points
Path 3: 0-4 points
Create a path by clicking on the +, selecting the desired assignments, and clicking Add Items
Go into each Path assignment and assign it to Mastery Paths
Return to Modules and review the Mastery Path
To best do this, go into the Student View and look to see if the conditional assignments under the Mastery Path assignment appear. If they do, review the Common Mistakes section below.
- The main assignment isn't assigned to Everybody and the conditional assignments aren't assigned to Mastery Paths
- The conditional assignments aren't placed under the same module as the Mastery Path assignment
- The Mastery Path assignment or any of the conditional assignments aren't published
- You accidentally created multiple Mastery Path assignments nested within each other without meaning to
If your Mastery Path still doesn't seem to be working properly after checking through the problems above, contact a member of CIDI by calling (435) 797-9506 or emailing email@example.com
Activating Master Paths in a Page
Go to Pages
Locate the necessary page
Scroll to the bottom of the page, locate Mastery Paths, and click the checkbox.