Extra Credit for Individual Quiz Questions
Canvas doesn't allow extra credit questions for individual quiz questions by default, but you can use this work around to achieve the desired result.
Have your students take the exam
In the exam, click Edit
Change the point value of the extra credit question(s) to 0
This will reduce the number of points possible on the exam.
Scroll to the bottom and click Save
After you change the values of the questions to 0 points (step 2) and save the quiz (step 3), Canvas will require that you re-grade the quiz. At this point you could go to the SpeedGrader and click the Update Score button for every student, but we have found that the method described here is much quicker, especially for large classes.
Navigate to Grades
Export the gradebook
- Click on Actions, then click Export.
- A .csv file will be downloaded to your computer.
Click the 3 dots next to the name of the quiz, select Hide Grades, then click Hide
This will prevent students from receiving any notifications while you adjust the scores.
Click the 3 dots next to the name of the quiz again and select Set Default Grade, set the grade to 0, check the Overwrite grades box, then click Set Default Grade
This will make make Canvas recognize the scores as "re-graded" when you re-import the scores from the .csv file you download earlier.
Import the gradebook that you exported in step 5
- Click Actions, then click Import.
- Click Choose File.
- Select the .csv file from your computer downloads (or wherever you saved it) and click Open.
- Click the Upload Data button.
- You will see a confirmation page that will show the quiz column scores changing from 0 to the original score. Click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the page.
Click the 3 dots next to the name of the quiz, select Post Grades, then click Post